File a Grievance

Types of Grievances Accepted

The Accessible Housing Program (AcHP) will accept and investigate Grievances related to housing accessibility and discrimination based on disability in regards to:

  • Any of the Covered Housing Developments, including owner or property management actions;
  • Housing programs and services offered in Covered Housing Developments;
  • Denial of reasonable accommodations and modifications or denial of a unit, accessible or otherwise, in a Covered Housing Development;
  • Accessible Housing Registry website
  • LAHD's program to provide accessibility and require compliance with applicable law and policies related to disability and accessibility in Covered Housing Developments;
  • The City’s implementation of the Settlement Agreement in the lawsuit Independent Living Center of Southern California, et al. vs. City of Los Angeles (United States District Court Case CV12-0551).

Instructions and Methods on How to Submit a Grievance

Grievances may be submitted using the online form or by downloading and submitting the form via email or U.S. mail to the address below.

Email Address:
Accessible Housing Program, Grievance
221 N. Figueroa St. #1400
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone Number:
(213) 808-8550
Due to technological changes, if TTY is needed to contact us, please use Telecommunication Relay Services (TRS) such as Text-to-Voice TTY-based TRS, Speech-to-Speech Relay Service, Shared Non-English Language Relay Services, Captioned Telephone Service; IP Captioned Telephone Service, Internet Protocol Relay Service, or Video Relay Service or dial 711.
Email Address:

For assistance in completing the form or if you would like to request to have a form mailed to you, please call (213) 808-8550 or email

The use of the Grievance Form is preferred, but not required. If another format is used, please include all of the information in the Grievance Form.